Sunday, January 15, 2006

Expressions of Literary Gratitude

  • Jean Louis Costes encouraged me exuberantly not only while we were actually living this book, but even through rough drafts detailing his creepier relationships or his briefly failing member. He is the best ex-husband in the world. --Lisa Crystal Carver, Drugs Are Nice.
  • Along those lines - thanks respectively to Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories and Stuart Pharmaceuticals for further expanding that narrow channel of joy by manufacturing Effexor and Elavil; drugs so good they feel illegal. --Thom Jones, Cold Snap.
  • Then there is Naaman Seigle, who was in the wrong place and still retains some of his original anger over being gassed. --Paul Dickson and Thomas B. Allen, Bonus Army.
  • My hands, damaged by the residual effects of frostbite, suffered so badly during the winters in the punishment unit of the prison that many pages of the manuscript journal, which survived and which I still have with me, are stained and streaked with my blood. --Gregory David Roberts, Shantaram.
  • Don't read "your" chapter out of sequence or you'll be even angrier with me. Read the chapters in the right order and then decide who has been betrayed by whom. --Charles Palliser, Betrayals.
  • You have inspired me like Goliath inspired David, and like David, with my measly slingshot I vow to the world that I will personally help stop the needless suffering of millions of people that you are directly causing. Your organizations and the individual people involved will be exposed, disgraced and defeated. --Kevin Trudeau, Natural Cures 'They' Don't Want You to Know About.
All quotations are book acknowledgements taken from The New York Times article "I Thank You," by Henry Alford.

No comments: